AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best Practice for Exporting Sugar Report Data to Google Data Studio

Question asked by Katie DelValle on Mar 25, 2020

Hello, 

I'm working on creating reports for my company where I connect many different data sources together for one cohesive report. I've found Google Data Studio (GDS) is a great tool for this because I can import data from many different sources. How I'm accomplishing this is I created a rows and column report in Sugar with all the data fields I want in GDS.  From there I take that excel document and I add all the data to a Google Sheet then set that sheet as a source in GDS. After this the source is in the report and I can create pretty well any chart, table I want and all is well in the world. 

I have 2 questions with this though and I have no idea where to look for guidance. 

1)  Is there a way to schedule this report so that on the day of the schedule it will just dump the data into a Google sheet automatically? I was thinking that to do this I'd set the schedule in Sugar to just run the report so the data is refreshed. Then in Google Sheets I could use the script editor to create a script that will go to Sugar, find the report and pull in the data set. I've attempted this a little bit but haven't been able to get past the access token AND run the URL Fetch code.  

After playing with this I also realized that even if I can get the data into Google Sheets I will likely have duplicate data if a lead or contact was updated recently, so now I'm not even sure if this is the right approach. 

2) If I decide that creating an API isn't the right solution to updating my data for GDS and I stick with updating the data manually should I, update the entire data set each week or just attempt to find the new and modified data.  If I just find the new and/or modified data what kind of logic would I use to merge any duplicates?  OR am I thinking too hard on this and missing a much easier solution? 

Thanks for any assistance!! 

Outcomes