Using Cases Internally

Hi There,

Seeking guidance on how we might leverage the cases functionality for internal Sugar issues. Is anyone doing this? Right now we are using the help desk ticketing system and it's just not very user friendly and the reporting leaves a lot to be desired. I don't want to set my internal users up on a portal, they have enough log ins to remember.

I have tested out the automatic creation of cases via inbound email . It works well. However, does anyone know if I can...

• Not have an associated company, since the company is ourselves.
  • Have the case automatically relate primary contact to a Sugar user because the senders email should match the Sugar users email.
  • Comment in the cases and have an email be sent to the sender with my comments.
  • Have the senders email replies be logged in the case
  • Definitely it is a good idea to do that, but once Cases module requires a relationship to some Account record then you need to create an Account record for your Company and a Contact record for each Employee as well.

By enabling the Scheduled Job Pull Monitored Inboxes all emails, whose subject has reference to a Case, will be automatically linked to that specific Case record, once the Inbound Email account has Create Case enabled.

Good luck!

André Lopes
    Lampada Global
  • Hi Annie,

An alternative to André's solution is to reconsider an email-based approach in favor of leveraging Sugar for all points of interaction. Based on your description, it sounds like all potential employees who would raise a help desk ticket already have Sugar access. This proposed solution assumes you are running either Enterprise or Sugar Serve and that you adhere to the best practice of having no more than 1 role associated per user:

• Customize the default case record view layout so that it matches the layout you want all general users to see when raising a help desk ticket. Be sure to remove the Account field and to include the Comment Log field. 
    • Define a role exclusive to your help desk team if you already have not. It does not necessarily need to have any more or less rights. The role being associated with your help desk users is what is critical.
    • Define a role-based view on the Cases record view to give access to any fields you want your help desk team to be able to view and edit in the process of handling their tickets. Be sure that the Account field is removed and the Comment Log field is included on this view as well.

Once a ticket is raised, then communication between the help desk agent and your users should be through the comment log field leveraging the tagging feature so that users receive in-app notifications. This solution avoids the need to maintain your company records as an account and contacts in addition to the user records, and it also facilitates additional users engaging on a ticket when necessitated. 

• Hi

I realize your question was over 2 yrs ago, so I'm sure you've gotten this all worked out. We've used the Cases Module for internal cases, as well as for our external Customer Cases since implementing Sugar in 2008. If you are still looking for some guidance / ideas, let me know...we've lived through some def trial and error periods :)

- Missy