Utility of having leads AND contacts

I’m wondering about the utility of maintaining both leads and contacts.

Up until now the system had 2 modules leads and contacts (contacts essentially being a copy of a lead that has converted), but I’m starting to doubt that we really need this. Leads module already has a built-in field “converted” to indicate that the person made a purchase.

Anyways, I guess it would really depend on the individual setup, but I just wanted to see what other people think. For example wondering how many people use “leads” only and are okey with it.

• I think it depends on the kind of organisation it is and its business processes. For example, if an organisation has a dedicated Lead Generation team which finds and qualifies leads, then it makes sense to use both Leads and Contacts. 

However, I have seen organisations using Contacts only but not just Leads. Hope that helps. 

• Leads and Contacts are inherited from the same parent "Person" so eventually looks the same while initial setup, however when it comes to business flow, they are different in my thoughts.

Imagine a situation that a Lead "X" came into the system and Converted into "X-C" as a contact. 

You have a different team to interact with leads and have to put a commission that based upon their efforts during It was Lead and this history also needs to keep during Lead's period to make several reports. 

If you initially keep them into contact based upon your "converted" status, the above situation was not manageable.

Hope it clears.

Kind Regards,

Ashish Dwivedi  

Founder at Outright Store

Email: ashish@outrightcrm.com