I have a custom module with a relationship to Contacts.  I cannot access the email address in Contacts.  How can I do this

I am a rookie to Sugar but I thought it would be straight forward to do this.  I have tried relate fields and text fields with a calculated value pointing at the Contacts email address.

• Hi Jim,

You were on the right path with using a text field and calculated value pointing back to the Contacts module. The issue is that the email address field isn't naturally exposed through the UI and requires knowledge of how the field is programmatically defined within the module. In my example, I created a text field in the Tasks module and used the Sugar Logic formula builder to generate the template for a related formula to the Contacts module. This ensures I have the proper relationship name in the formula. The field you need to reference in the formula is email1, so in my example, the formula is:

related($contacts,"email1")

The $contacts variable in the formula may be different depending on what module you are creating the field and whether the relationship you want to reference is custom or out-of-the-box.

Please note that once the field is created, any existing records will not reflect the calculated value until they are re-saved. 

• This worked perfectly once I found the right relationship field to use in the formula.  Its gonna take a while to digest how sugar maintains relationships!