external cache db    what does it do

Hello Community, 

Using SugarCRM 9.01   - onsite 

I am running into an issue of my database server filling up its temp file and then slowly filling up the HDD space causing Sugar to stop functioning. 

After looking at everything I possibly can I have come to this 

Whenever a write query is performed on key_value_cache table the temp file fills exponentially until it has no more room to grow. 

I have found references to the following setting 

$sugar_config['external_cache_disabled_db'] = true

but cannot find reference as to what this actually does other than not write that query. 

Can someone tell me what this does in Sugar   and will performance be compromised if I enable this setting ? 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

• Hi David Matrai,

I would recommend Redis as external cache for your on-site installation instead, which leverages in-memory storage. You are fine at disabling the database external caching that you mentioned.

Hope it helps

--

Enrico Simonetti

Sugar veteran (from 2007)

www.naonis.tech

Feel free to reach out for consulting regarding:

• API Integration and Automation Services
    • Sugar Architecture
    • Sugar Performance Optimisation
    • Sugar Consulting, Best Practices and Technical Training
    • AWS and Sugar Technical Help
    • CTO-as-a-service
    • Solutions-as-a-service
    • and more!

All active SugarCRM certifications

Actively working remotely with customers based in APAC and in the United States

• Hi David,

We use the external caches in SugarCRM to enhance the performance. There are many supportable caches for store the Sugar Files like APC, Memcached, etc. For storing the DB queries external_cache_disabled_db property is used.

If the performance is the concern then it totally depends that what is actual load on the server. Like currently I am working on a project in which Sugar instance is deployed on some "ABC" server, its DB is deployed on some "XYZ" server and Elastic search is on some other server and bandwidth and load on the server is also not too much that is why here in this situation there is no need to enable any external caches.

But if the load on the server is more and there are many instances and DBs deployed on the same server then there will need to enable the external caches because data retrieval from the files takes less time and while querying from the DB tables will take more time.