add related record based on unique value

I have a process definition that creates a related record when a case is created with specific criteria. The case and the related record (Nonconformances)  have a field (Batch) which is a unique value. How can I modify the process definition to create the related record only if a record with the unique value has not already been created? Basically, I can have multiple cases for batch 12345, but I only want 1 related record created for each unique batch number to avoid duplicates.

Thank you!

• Hi Kristen Dougherty,

I cannot think of way to achieve this in Sugar through out-of-the-box functionality. There are a few elements you highlight as critical:

1. Nonconformance records should have a 1:1 association with batches. To prevent duplicates, the Nonconformance record would need a field enforcing a unique value and referencing the batch number.
    2. When creating cases with a batch specified, it appears you want to either create the Nonconformance record if one is currently not associated with the batch, or you want to relate the case to the existing Nonconformance record for that batch.

To achieve both of these functions, I believe they require development to implement. My company, Upsert, develops these types of solutions if you do not have access to a development team. Please feel free to reach out to us through our site if we can be of assistance.