Assign Team on new record creation

Hi all,

we are currently looking into segregating our system by teams.

Previously we already had teams assigned to users, but all records in our system were defaulted "Global".

I started changing all existing account teams and split them into our three business regions AMERICAS, APAC and EMEA.

My issue now is, how do I make sure that every time a new record gets created the correct team gets assigned to the record and that it overrides the "Global" team?

What is the best way to make use of Business Processes to change the team assignment on all records?

And do I have to set up separate business processes for each module?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Fabian

• This article may help you, it covers user assignment based on territory, but you can adapt it for team assignment.

Regards

André Lopes
    Lampada Global
  • If each user has a single Team that new records should default to (i.e. user A in the US should default to AMERICAS, user B in Germany should default to EMEA), you can do this via the User Profile and don't need to use SugarBPM. 

After adding the user to the Team, edit the user profile. On the Advanced tab, change the default team from Global to the appropriate regional team and save. From that point on, any data the user creates will automatically default to that team. 

Business Analyst

Technology Advisors, Inc.

• Thanks Megan,

that works on Accounts when our sales people create the record. But how would that work on records generated from our web-form, such as cases, contacts or leads?

• Hi Fabian,

True. For records not generated by users, I would look first at SugarBPM/workflow to see if you can build what you need there. You should be able to filter the start event by creating user or other criteria so that you are only running the workflows for records not generated by users directly in Sugar. For Leads and Contacts, hopefully you are asking for country or other data on the web form that you can use to determine the correct Team to assign. I would suggest looking at using Process Business Rules to manage the logic to determine the team from the country, and then a Gateway that routes to the correct 'update record' element for assigning that team. I suspect Cases might be more complex, as my instinct would be to want to assign the Team based on the related Account's Team - I don't believe SugarBPM can currently do that. So I think your best options would be to also ask about geography on the Case web form, and treat it as above, or handle this via a code customization such as a logic hook. If you need help with the logic hook approach, you could post in the Developer space and I imagine someone more technical than I could provide you more details. 

Business Analyst

Technology Advisors, Inc.

• Maybe someday we'll have the ability to use Team as a Start Point or a logical branch in the Process Manager :-)

I've addressed the need to set a Team for records by using a "Territory Code" (three digits) and having a process with a branch to an action that sets the Team.

Yes, you need to have a process for each module.

Bud Hartley | Cape Foulwind, NZ (and Oregon, USA)

• For cases (Inbound email) it is difficult as it requires a user license but on lead forms it is easy to solve.

1. Lead forms:

Beside of the fields SugarCRM delivers with the forms you are able to pass over additional hidden values to have a trigger for a SugarBMP to set teams. Your Webdeveloper should be able to hide a such a field on your website and set the appropriate value automatically

2. cases import:

Unfortunately this module is BWC and has lots of "bugs".
       Here we go:

1. Create a case Import User and adjust its default teams to the ones you wanna have it to (profile settings, this inherits to the cases)
    2. Create an Import team and assign the import user to that team
    3. set this team to the InboundEmail job for assignment
    4. set up a SugarBPM to adjust whatever you want based on the start event "created by user X"

Well know but ignored a long time by SugarCRM (CC Alex Nassi as a representative for forwarding to dev) this is not inherited to emails and prohibits a multi-client capabillity cases solution. -> YES Alex we need that!!!!! (including relationship access on emails in SugarBPM) ;-) 

Bests

Björn