(SmtpMailer.php:167 [6]) - Failed to connect to outbound SMTP Mail Server: An outgoing mail server is not configured to send emails.

hi all,

this is a a bit strange, Assignment emails and notification emails work perfectly file whereas workflow emails doesnot work. if i try to send an email via process definition or auto reply it doesnt work. we are onsite hosted setup and currently on 7.9.4 , outbound email is setup (no smtp authentication is used) , test emails works perfectly file.

we get following error : 

Configurator » SugarCRM

MailerException - @(SmtpMailer.php:167 [6]) - Failed to connect to outbound SMTP Mail Server: An outgoing mail server is not configured to send emails. Please configure an outgoing mail server or select an outgoing mail server for the mail account that you are using in 

I have tried checking the following : 

Admin-> Email settings - mailserver and port defined , test email works fine , smtp authetication disabled

Email->Settings : default outbound settings exists, if i add a new outbound setting, it allows me to add but everytime i try to check via edit all defined fields change to undefined.

any guidance here where do i need to setup this outbound email setting would be great. i am using a group mailbox for sugar setup i am not using my personal , i do have imap config for the mailbox but i am not sure where do i need to set this up, there is no smtp authentication required as i am informed by our IT team , mailbox is setup to send emails without authentication on exchange server.

any guidance would be great

Thanks,

Kunal

• Hi Kunal/All,

We're facing the same problem on alerts by Advance Workflows. The SMTP account is configured correctly when you do a 'Test Email' and even for Workflows but not for Process Definitions.

We have the same error below:

Mon Jun 10 11:44:02 2019 [21080][b898ffcc-ec29-1eb5-a416-542130a5ee4e][WARN] SMTP -> ERROR: QUIT command failed.
    Mon Jun 10 11:44:02 2019 [21080][b898ffcc-ec29-1eb5-a416-542130a5ee4e][FATAL] SugarPHPMailer encountered an error: An outgoing mail server is not configured to send emails. Please configure an outgoing mail server or select an outgoing mail server for the mail account that you are using in Settings >> Mail Account.
    Mon Jun 10 11:44:02 2019 [21080][b898ffcc-ec29-1eb5-a416-542130a5ee4e][FATAL] SugarPHPMailer encountered an error: SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

We are using Exchange Server, it might the way how the Advanced WF alerts connects to SMTP?

Have you solved your issue?

BTW we are using Sugar 7.9 ENT version.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kaizer

• Unfortunately no, I did raise the case with Sugar aswell but since 7.9 is not a supported version they suggested to upgrade to version 9.0 and test it again, we cant just upgrade to version 9.0 as there are quiet a few in-upgrade safe changes which needs to be analyzed and its not a something that could be done quickly. so we are still looking ofr alternate solution but currently stuck with the issue.

Thanks,

Kunal

• Hi Kunal,

Appreciate the response. It's just strange that something like this would fail for some weird reason. We're also pursuing an upgrade to 9.

The thing is I couldn't replicate this is in local so I would assume something with their Exchange server is failing but couldn't investigate further on what's going on. If I use a different SMTP server like Gmail, the mails are sent but some weird things are happening wherein if you send an email using a direct email address of a user it sends fine but not when you place the user who is currently assigned or who created it.

It seems to be a problem on Exchange servers but can't figure out what may be the issue. If it happens that the instance is upgrade to 9 and if it still fails, then the first thing to check is the Exchange server.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Kaizer

• Hi Kunal, 

The issue with 'undefined' showing in the Email Settings had been marked resolved in 2017 as of version 7.10+

Not only for this reason I highly recommend to upgrade your 7.9 installation to a supported version

I have checked for current cases or bugs using SMTP without authentication and Workflows and currently there is no known issue around this that I'm aware of. With that it is highly likely that the upgrade will resolve that problem, however if you still experience issues in the current 8.x or 9.x version our support team can assist and troubleshoot this further. 

At the following link you'll find the current upgrade paths: 

https://community.sugarcrm.com/docs/DOC-3621-upgrade-paths-for-on-site-installations

If you run into any issues during the upgrade please let Support know. As always please test the upgrade in a sandbox first. 

One troubleshooting step in the your current version could be to add SMTP authentication on the Exchange server to confirm if the issue is the same. 

Best regards,

Dennis 

• Hi Kunal,

Were you able to find a solution for this? We are experiencing the same issue. The system email configuration works as intended when sending a test email, however when i set up user email credentials, the test email indicates it was sent, but nothing sends. The logs reference the same error that you are receiving.

Thanks!

Jake

• Hi Jake,

In version 7.x  it’s a known issue and since it’s unsupported version

We won’t receive a fix for this.

Suggestion is to upgrade to version 8.0 and above. We are still trying to upgrade our dev and test instances and perform regressions.

We weren’t able to resolve this in version 7.x

Hope this info is useful.

Thanks,

Kunal

Kunal Pratap

Contractor

Kunal.Pratap@evopayments.com

EVO Payments United Kingdom | Evo International

The Colmore Building, 20 Colmore Circus, Birmingham B4 6AT

www.evopayments.co.uk<http://www.evopayments.co.uk>

• Hello Dennis, 

We are currently experiencing this issue on Version 9.1.0 (Build 216) (Summer '19). Most of the emails are being sent out but there are some that are not.

As of today, September 10th, there are a bunch of the following error messages on the log:
    Mon Sep 9 17:19:18 2019 [27844][2a819964-5bce-11e9-b799-02dcb16454fa][FATAL] SMTP -> ERROR: QUIT command failed. Reply: Authentication successful
    Code: 235 Extended Code: 2.7.0
    Mon Sep 9 17:19:18 2019 [27844][2a819964-5bce-11e9-b799-02dcb16454fa][FATAL] MailerException - @(SmtpMailer.php:183 [6]) - Failed to connect to outbound SMTP Mail Server: The outbound mail server selected for the mail account you are using is invalid. Check the settings or select a different mail server for the mail account.

Jake Ashley, Kunal singh, Kaizer Anos were you able to find a solution to your issue?

Regards, 

Angel M.

• We were witnessing this issue on 7.9.4 for workflow generated emails. We were told it was known issue . However when we upgraded to 9.0.3 it was resolved . It would be worth checking if it happens only for workflow emails ?

Thanks,

Kunal

Sent from my iPhone

Kunal Pratap

Contractor

Kunal.Pratap@evopayments.com

EVO Payments United Kingdom | Evo International

The Colmore Building, 20 Colmore Circus, Birmingham B4 6AT

www.evopayments.co.uk<http://www.evopayments.co.uk>

• Thanks for the quick update Kunal,

Actually for us, it is happening only for Sugar BPM emails. Do you have the bug/case number or name handy?

Thank you!

Regards, 

Angel M.

• hi angel, 

I am not sure if this is resolved for you now, i was provided following bug number for v 7.9.4 - I've also noticed that we used to have a bug #78364 (https://portal.sugarondemand.com/#supp_Bugs/78364) which might be related to the issue you've been facing. 

is this resolved for you now ? if yes it would be great if you could share some light.

Angel Martinez