Is it possible to ensure a field in Opportunity updates a field in Contacts?

Hi Team,

I have a field in Opportunity called 'Invoice Contact'. This field pops up once Opportunity 'Sales Stage' becomes "Closed - Won" and shows who it is we contact.  It works by having a searchable field of all the Contacts and then you select which one it is. Is there a way, using SugarBPM/Workflows that if the Contact is under 'Invoice Contact' in Opportunity, it can then update a field in that Contact?

• Is your 'Invoice Contact' field just a 'Relate Field' type, or is it a One to Many relationship? If it's a 'relate field' then you can't do this using SugarBPM fore certain - if you're using an actual module to module relationship then it should be pretty simple. 

• Hi Matthew,

The field is a 'Relate' field so looks like it can't be done hmmm.

I may have to think of another way that this could automate.

If I use a module to module relationship between Opp to Contact is there a way you can specify it updates only 1 contact? OR will it update all Contacts?

Thanks,

• I think it may help if you provide some more information about what the filter / constraint upon the Contact records you're looking to target would be to avoid confusion. However, based on what I think you're asking I believe this could be doable. 

What I think you want to do is the following:

* When an opportunity changes to the value of 'Closed Won', then change the value of a field on the 'Contact' records that are what you call the 'invoice contacts'. 

I think this is doable. I think I would create a field in Studio on the Contacts module (called "Is Invoice Contact" for example). Then you would create your Process Definition. It would have two steps:

1. Start -> on first update of field "Opportunity Status" to a value of "Closed - Won"
    2. Action -> Change Field -> Related Module 'Contacts' with a filter constrained to 'Is Invoice Contact'==True -> Update target field to your value

That should update the field on all contact records that are labeled as 'Invoice Contact' using the new field. 

I can create this process with screenshots to help demonstrate if you elaborate on what field you want to change. 

There are also probably multiple ways you could go about this, including my making a new One to Many relationship between Opportunities and Contacts that works in addition to the Many to Many relationship. I just  personally prefer to avoid adding new relationship links if I can help it. 

• Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your explanation and help so far - I am new to being an admin in sugar so still learning/understanding how a few of our fields have been set up.

When an Opportunity changes to 'Closed - Won' we have a dependent field that becomes available called "Invoice Contact". This is a "Relate" type field that searches any Contact in Sugar and allows you to select to anyone can see who is the Contact for invoicing.

Are you saying if I create another field called "Is Invoice Contact" in Contacts then I can have a workflow that would tick this box when the Invoice Contact is selected? What field type what that have to be?

Thank you