Roles best practice?

Hey guys,

I am working setting up the roles permissions for teams on my companies new CRM account. I wanted to know if anyone has any best practice advice for setting this up?

i.e is it ever advisable to leave fields at the default value or should every cell be changed with a specific permission?

Any other tips?

• The best answer is probably "It Depends".  When we first set up roles, we did the quick thing of setting the overarching ability (i.e. see all, list all, edit all, delete none) knowing that the Teams would control which records the user could access.  Over time, we went through every field in the module to determine if the user in that role should be able to see or edit it.  Where the main setting was set to "edit" or "see all" we set specific fields to "none" for the role.

It isn't a perfect world, and there have been modifications to the access for roles as we gained experience using SugarCRM.

If you have the time in the beginning, you might want to roll through each of the fields and make the individual decisions about the role's access to the fields. 

Bud Hartley | Cape Foulwind, NZ (and Oregon, USA)