Using SugarBeans outside of Sugar's framework

We need to be able to run PHP code that makes use of Sugar data in scripts that are outside of Sugar - not scheduler tasks or logic hooks or anything. Completely outside of the Sugar world. Based on what I found here I added the following to my script:

if(!defined('sugarEntry')) define('sugarEntry', true);

require_once('data/BeanFactory.php');

That led to a string of error messages and including various other files, and then I started by including the same files in the base index.php from my Sugar installation, but finally I came to an impasse. My error message is:

Notice: Undefined index: log in /var/www/html/include/SugarObjects/VardefManager.php on line 1054 Fatal error: Call to a member function debug() on null in /var/www/html/include/SugarObjects/VardefManager.php on line 1054

The code at line 1054 of VardefManager.php is:

$GLOBALS['log']->debug("VardefManager::loadVardef called for module: $module");

I can't find where "log" is being defined in the GLOBALS scope, and anyway, this is starting to look like a lot more than I should have to do to make this work - my current code draft has six require_once statements in it, not to mention several other very hacky details. Is there a better way to do this? Am I missing something?

Sugar 7.8 Professional.