AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best practice for transitioning to Advanced Workflow

Question asked by Megan Sheehan on Jul 25, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 by Katie Liesmann

As a partner, I'm helping a number of  customers start to move their existing workflows from the legacy workflow tool to advanced workflow processes. One thing I've noticed is a difference in how workflows are triggered - legacy workflow can be set to trigger on the change to a specific field value, whereas advanced workflow triggers the first time a condition is true. The issue I'm running into is that sometimes the legacy workflow has already triggered against a record, but because the advanced workflow process hasn't triggered before, it runs the process - from the user's experience, running it a second time.

For example, let's say I have workflow that triggers when an opportunity is closed won. The legacy workflow has already triggered against my closed won opportunity. However, when I implement a new advanced workflow, with the same outcome, it hasn't run against the closed won opportunity record. So, if the user updates the already won opportunity for some reason, the new process will run as if the opportunity was just closed won for the first time.

I realize this is short-term problem during the transition; however, I'm curious if others have run into this and if so, what you have done about it. The only thing I can think of is to create the new process with no actions in it, update all existing data meeting the condition to trigger it to run (doing nothing) and then build out the process to do what I need it to do. But, for organizations transitioning multiple workflows, against multiple modules, that seems like a potentially tedious process. Anyone have any better ideas?

Outcomes