AnsweredAssumed Answered

What about audit tables and deleted records?

Question asked by Jaume Albaigès on Jul 21, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 21, 2016 by André Lopes

Hello,

As most of you may know, when a record is deleted from the user interface it is not deleted in the database but just "marked as deleted", ie, its deleted value is set to 1. These records are only really deleted by the Prune database on 1st of month scheduler job.

In the other hand, you also may know that every single field in every CRM module is auditable. When the value of an audited field changes for a certain record, an entry is made in the audit table for that module in order to keep the old field value, the time when it changed, the user that made the change, etc. This is really interesting for tracking purposes, of course.

My question is: when a record is really deleted in the database through the scheduler job, wouldn't it be logical to also remove its related entries in the audit table? Because it seems that this does not actually happen and it makes no sense to me to keep some pieces (the audit entries) for deleted records which I'll never be able to re-create again.

Any ideas on that? Are there any philosophic reasons in order to not clean the audit tables while cleaning normal ones? Thank you very much!

Jaume

PS. I'm on SugarCRM 6.5.x Community Edition

Outcomes