AnsweredAssumed Answered

Fatal error - maximum row size for the used table type is 65535.

Question asked by Philippa Grover on Jul 18, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 by Chris Raffle

Hello everyone,

We are currently unable to create any new fields in the Cases module, as we're getting a "Failed to retrieve data" error. Upon looking at the log file, we note the below:

Fri Jul 8 10:19:55 2016 [1318][1][FATAL] Cannot create column Query Failed: ALTER TABLE cases_cstm add COLUMN test_c varchar(255) NULL : MySQL error 1118: Row size too large. The maximum row size for the used table type, not counting BLOBs, is 65535. You have to change some columns to TEXT or BLOBs.

I understand this means we've run out of width in the database. However, this is not OK because we need to create a further 200+ fields in this module. I haved edited textfields to be fewer characters, but other than that, I cannot think of anything to do in the Studio to free-up some resource.

Our technical team have come up with a temporary solution, whereby they will reduce DropDown fields to fewer than the 100 character default. However, by doing this in code, it is only a temporary fix as it will restore back to 100 characters if edited in Studio.

How can we increase the space available more long term? This is rather urgent, as we have time pressure from the client to get this completed asap.

Many thanks in advance,

Philippa

Outcomes