Alternative to mail merge

Sugar Professional 7.6.0

A feature that I have been tasked to implement into Sugar is the ability to create a set of invoices based on data that has been added into a customized sales module.   These invoices must be able to be exported as a single document regardless of the number of them created during the day. Going to each record and exporting as a PDF does not work as there may be up to 50 of these needing to be printed a day.

The invoices will be printed and snail-mailed out, so the single document is not an issue, just as long as there are page breaks can be added between records.

As the Mail Merge feature is no longer in Sugar 7 and does not support the custom module anyways, I was wondering if anyone has had success with another way of implementing a similar feature?

• Hello Mary,

If you are using the MS Word Plugin, you can still perform a mail merge in Sugar versions 7.x. This documentation explains how to do it. This would be your best bet without having to do any coding as MS Word Plugin is free for Sugar users. You may be able to find some prebuilt packages at SugarForge and SugarExchange.

Kind Regards,

Jason Smith

• Does the MS Word Plugin work with a custom module?

What I am looking for is the ability filter records from a custom module within Sugar and generate the document based off the filtered criteria. 

• Hi Mary,

I've done something similar in the past for making address labels for the customers who had requested information that day. Here's the procedure, which requires a bunch of setup but is easy to use day-to-day (bear with me here! ):

Admin Setup

1. Create a custom dropdown list called yes_no with 2 options: Yes, No.
    2. Create a custom dropdown field in the Sales module called "Print Invoice" that uses the list from step one. Make the field default to No and make sure it is both reportable and mass updatable.
    3. Add the dropdown to the Sales module's record view and list view.
    4. Create a rows & columns report for the Sales module, filtered by Print Invoice = Yes, and display all of the fields you'll need on the invoice.

User Setup (user who is responsible for printing the daily invoices)

1. Create a saved filter for the Sales module for records with Print Invoice = yes.
    2. Navigate to the report created in step four above.
      • Favorite the report (for easy access later)
      • Export the report results, even if the report is empty.
      • Create a local directory on the user's computer called Sugar Invoices
      • Save the exported file as invoices.csv in the Sugar Invoices folder
    3. Create a mail-merge Invoice document in Word according to these instructions. Reference the invoices.csv file for the merge (you may need to save some dummy data in the spreadsheet to set up the mail merge). Save this document in the Sugar Invoices folder.

Daily Application

Now that you have the Print Invoice field and reports in place, and the user has set up their mail merge document, here's what a typical day will look like:

1. Throughout the day, the user(s) entering data into the Sales module should select Print Invoice = yes for any record that needs to be printed at the end of the day.
    2. At the end of the day, the user who prints the invoices can pull up the favorited report and export it to Excel. They'll save it over the previous day's invoices.csv, which is linked to their mail merge document in Word. Then they can simply print the invoices from Word like a normal mail merge!
    3. Before leaving for the day, the user should return to Sugar and mass update all Sales records to 'Print Invoices = No' (using the filter in User Setup step 1). Now they're all set to repeat the process tomorrow!

Everyone will think you're some kind of magician, I promise . Let me know if this will work for you, or if there are any special considerations I've missed here! Thanks for staying with me on this...

Kind regards,

Jill

2015.01.25 - Edited to reflect that the dropdown doesn't require a blank value.

• Hi Mary

If you're open to investigating third-party solutions, then I think XperiDo would be the perfect one to  achieve this. It works with any Sugar Module and I think it does exactly what you're looking for.

I think this would be a good apporach:

1. create an advanced search on your custom module and select the records you want to create an invoice for.

2. find the XperiDo command on the list view

3. select your Invoice template and generate your documents

4. If you install XperiDo on premises or if your using Google Cloud Print, XperiDo can send the generated documents straight to your printer.

Some shots:

Open XperiDo from the search results page and select your Invoice Template

000381-Quotes » SugarCRM - Commercial Open Source CRM.png

Pick up your generated docs (one file with page breaks or multiple files) from the download page

000382-Program Manager.png

Excerpt of a generated document (PDF in the example)

000383-Invoices (1)_665b3988-4e9a-483b-8c81-1e8adf1112f0_.pdf.png

I'd be very happy to tell you more about XperiDo and check out if it is a good solution for you. Please connect if you want to investigate this.

Warm regards

Erwin

• I have a similar question:

[Sugar 7.7.2.0]

In the word plugin, there are currently "Accounts", "CampaignTargets", "Cases", "Contacts", "Leads", "Opportunities" to choose as "master module".

Is it possible to turn any custom modules to "master module" and perform mail merge with it?

Thanks, 

Casey