How do I reset the invoice numbers and quote numbers in Sugar?

Can anyone let me know where the settings are to "reset" the quote numbers and invoice numbers in Sugar 7?  I want to begin the numbering series at a higher number than the default setting?

Thanks!

• Hi Cam - Just go to Admin > Studio > Quotes > Fields. Click on the field name quote_num and edit the setting labeled "Auto Increment Next Value".

Here's an article that will walk you through step-by-step:

Setting Starting Numbers for Quotes, Cases, and Bugs

Best regards,

Jill

*edited to include link

• Hi Jill,

Thanks so much for your answer to my question.  I went in to Studio and changed the settings, but it still does not seem to work  Here are my current settings: (I saved the changes after making the change and before proceeding to test a new quote)

http://screencast.com/t/uAvCfNYZ

But here is the next quote, prepared after the settings were changed:

http://screencast.com/t/MGdQtO9Z3

As you can see, it is reverting back to the old sequence of numbers?  Any thoughts?  On a related issue, if we want to convert the quote to an invoice and change the invoice number, how is that accomplished?  (we would have many more quotes than invoices, and want to keep the invoices in sequential order as well ....but not necessarily the same number as the quote?)

Thanks so much for your help - we newbies are a pain!

Cam

• No problem! I appreciate the screenshots in your response. If you make a change in Studio that isn't getting broadcast to the application as expected (e.g., layouts, field settings) try performing a Quick Repair and Rebuild (QRR). This will clear and rebuild the database cache and usually resolves most studio-related issues.

Regarding the invoice numbers, is it the 'Print to PDF > Invoice' that you want to have unique numbers? If so, the invoice is just pulling in numbers from the Quote (and related) records to a PDF template. There may be some creative ways to do what you want, but first I need a little more information.

1. What version number and edition (pro, enterprise, etc) of Sugar are you using?
    2. Please confirm whether you are referring to the invoice PDF or something else.
    3. Finally, let me know if the QRR worked to resolve the Quote number issue!

Thanks

Jill

• Hi Jill,

Here is my Sugar Version - SugarCRM Professional, Version 7.6.1.0 (Build 1163) - On demand

I am afraid the Quick Repair and Rebuild didn't work ....it is still reverting back to the old numbering sequence.    I know that the "on demand" platform had some issues and downtime today, perhaps that is part of the problem?

With regard to the invoice number ... yes, I am referring to the invoice PDF when printing while converting the quote to an invoice.  The quote number could be 156, but the invoice number might need to be 101.

Thanks for the help Jill - I appreciate it!

Cam

• Darn, I can't imagine why it's being stubborn. Because it's not practical to troubleshoot here in the community, I suggest you create a support case to have one of our rock-star support agents look into the issue. I'm not having any problems on a clean install of the same build so there's gotta be something unique with your instance.

Because invoices are not their own module, you cannot create an invoice-specific incremental ID. I was thinking that a combination of calculated fields and workflows against the Quotes module could work, but we run into problems getting the number to grow relative to itself from one quote record to the next.

This may over-complicate things, but an alternative could be to create a unique string ID that is populated by the values of certain fields on the quote. You could use Sugar Logic to concatenate parts of certain fields to generate an ID that looks (for example) like FEDE1448006400500, where 'FEDE' is the first 4 chars of the account name, '1448006400' is the UNIX timestamp, and '500' is the rounded dollar amount. The formula for this example is:

concat(subStr(related($billing_accounts,"name"),0,4),toString(timestamp(today())),toString(ceil($total)))

The catch is that the user would need to edit and save the record at least once in between invoices in order for the field to recalculate to a new value, but I imagine that would happen anyway. Then simply edit the Invoice template in the PDF Manager to display the new Invoice ID field.