Process Author -  Can you show me a example about Parallel Gateway ?

Hi!!

I need help!

I tried to create process definition  with parallel gateway,I couldn't understand how to use the Parallel Gateway option , and what time to use it. I searched the Administration Guide but don't have much explanation.
I'm confuse about feature, show me a example?

Thank you.
Veronica.
  • Hello Veronica,

Great question! Use a parallel gateway in a complex process that has multiple things happening all at once (or "parallel" to each other). Unlike the other gateways, there is no evaluation inside this gateway. it simply tells the process that 2 things are about to happen at the same time.

For example, when a high-value opportunity is created, a process could kick off where the sales manager must approve the total while the accounting department runs a credit check on the account. If you used an exclusive gateway, it would enforce only one of these options (sales approval OR credit check). But with a parallel gateway, the process can branch off in BOTH directions at the same time, and then optionally meet up again later. If the parallel flows reconvene, just use another parallel gateway to merge them. 

In the following screenshot, we have a case approval process where, if the case approval is ignored for x amount of time, the approval gets reassigned to someone else. The parallel gateway is leveraged to kick off two separate functions. The top flow starts the approval and specifies behavior for approve/reject response. The bottom flow starts a timer that sends a reminder message 3 times before hitting a change-user event. 

When using parallel gateways it is very important to use the correct End-event type in your process. In the example above, all three end events are set to "Terminate". This means that, if a flow hits any one of the three terminate events, then the entire process will stop running.
    • Do Nothing: Ends the current branch; prevents parallel process branches from stopping prematurely
    • Terminate Process: Stops the entire process; will terminate all parallel branches even if there are steps remaining
    I hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Jill

SugarCRM 
    Knowledge Team
  • Hi  Jill, 

I understand your explanation, thanks for help me.
    In which I include the diverging and converging? Or in the case Parallel Gateway can only use the converging?
    I tried to use converging in Exclusive gateway, but i can't ! Converging can only use in Parallel gateway?

Thank you!!!!!

Verônica Gomes

• Hello Verônica,

Exclusive gateways can be used as converging. Simply right-click on the gateway and change the Direction setting to "Converging". If you do not see this option, please reply with a screenshot or steps to reproduce your process definition.

Best regards,
    Jill

SugarCRM 
    Knowledge Team

• Hi Jill, 

I tried to use Gateway converging, but the message says:  
    • Gateway cannot have an outgoing sequence flow
    Whats means? 

Thank you for help me!
    Verônica
  • Hi Veronica - sorry for the late response to this.

Your screenshot shows an Exclusive gateway and not a Parallel gateway. If I create a Process Definition with 2 start events connected to a Converging Exclusive gateway I see the error, too. The error message disappears from the gateway when I connect it to one outgoing element.

The error message re-appears when I connect it to two outgoing elements because it is an Exclusive gateway, which, when converging, merges multiple streams into a single thread and cannot have more than one outgoing sequence flow. The error message does not display the proper warning. It should instead read, "Gateway cannot have more than one outgoing sequence flow." I will create a bug to correct this text.
    2-outgoing.png

By looking at your screenshot, I think you are trying to accomplish the following:

• If the field "Blacklist" is set to "Sim", then change [other field] to "Refused".
    • If the field "Blacklist" is set to "Não", then change [other field] to "Not Refused".

I recommend using only one Start event configured to detect a value in the field "Blacklist":
    blacklist.png

...followed by an Exclusive, diverging gateway.

Set the gateway's default flow to "Not Refused":
    default.png

Finally, set the gateway criteria for "Refused" to "Blacklist is equal to Yes":
    refused.png

• Hi Jill,

I´m studying and running some tests, soon I  answer if successful!

Thank you for answer.

Verônica

• I am finding a Bug in the End Event Do Nothing.  I find that the Do Nothing End Event changes the status of the overall Process to Process Completed yet it is still Running.  And if I do and change that should cause it to do a Terminate it errors out because it is already in the State Process Completed.

• Hi Barry,

Sorry you're having difficulties. Would you mind uploading the .bpm export of the process definition? DM me if there are privacy concerns and we can figure out another way.

Thank you

Jill