Why is there a different list view layout for some core modules (Projects, Quotes)?

Two of the core modules that we use extensively (Projects & Quotes) have a different list view layout to other modules (e.g. Leads, Accounts, Contacts, etc). They are missing filters, the ability to click & drag columns, and most importantly the "preview/dashboard" feature on the right hand side. We're using Sugar Pro 7.5.2.1.

Additionally, it means we can't use list view dashlets properly for these 2 modules. For example, we would like to create a dashlet that shows Projects that have a certain "Status" set. This is not possible because there is no Status field option in the filter when we create the Projects list view dashlet.

So my 2 questions are:
1. Is there any way to alter/upgrade these modules so they have the same functionality as the other core modules?
2. If not, is there a simple way we can at least create filters using custom fields in the list view dashlet, without having to code our own from scratch?

Cheers
Evan
  • Not all modules have been converted to Sugar 7's new layouts. Some of the modules such as Calls, Meetings, Quotes, Employee, Users, Projects, and Administration have non-standard views in Sugar 6 and these non-standard views need to be re-developed for Sugar 7.

Calls and Meetings will move out of BWC (Backwards Compatibility) in Sugar 7.6. With each new release additional modules continue to move out of BWC.

As for your specific questions.

1. It is not possible to just alter/upgrade these modules to use the Sugar 7 views. There is a lot of custom JavaScript used for things like Gant Charts in Projects and adding rows to the Quotes. There needs to be a lot of work done to re-develop these modules.
    2. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe since these modules are in BWC mode, Studio does not generated the files needed for the list view dashlet.  You may need to custom code the filters that you are after for these BWC modules.
  • Thanks Jeff.

We've migrated from CE 6.5 and Sugar 7 really does seem like a half baked product. We are having quite a few issues with it. 

We'll look into the custom filters. Hopefully it isn't too big a deal.