lotus notes 8.5 fixup

so I'm new to lotus notes, and this question is probably over kill since i am just a user, and don't administer the server, but in another questions it was suggested to try running fixup. so i started googleing fixup and found this statement
  "Keep in mind that after you set up transaction logging, Fixup is not needed or used to bring databases back to a consistent state."    so I can't help but wonder why you wouldn't need something to fix a corrupted database if transaction logging is set? this suggests that transaction logging keeps databases from becoming corrupt. is that what transaction logging does? if so how?
  • The best way to  do it is to rename the file then force a replication from a known good server.       

If it is not too  corrupted you can do an updall -r and it will rebuild the indexes.

Try running  nfixup.exe against it. If that doesn’t work, try ncompact -c against it.

Note: ncompact  exists in all workstation installs. nfixup is not part of the client — you can  copy it off a server that runs at a similar NBotes version.

Make sure to use  the -c option with compact (ncompact -c whatever\your\file.nsf)

Another variant might be software for corrupt .nsf files https://www.repairtoolbox.com/lotusnotesrepair.html Lotus Notes Repair Toolbox