AnsweredAssumed Answered

Usability issue of keeping converted leads in the system?

Question asked by lou lou on Jul 31, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 1, 2014 by lou lou
Hi All,

I'm currently in charge of adapting our internal working methodologies as well as importing our data from a custom CRM system to Sugar.

One thing that keeps striking me is the lead > contact conversion process.

It seems to me that keeping leads around, after conversion in their current state places WAY too much burden on the end user.

For example, after a lead is converted (perhaps automatically via the API from a 3rd part trigger, such as the e-signing of a contract), the sales rep's lead is duplicated as a contact. The rep may not immediately notice this (is a little badge really enough?!) and continue to log calls, tasks, etc against a lead.

The problem here is that the system treats the lead vs the contact as two discrete individuals with a casual relationship (they link to one-another via hyperlink only).

Ideally once converted, all edits to one entity would be replicated to the other, likewise any new relationships (calls, emails etc) would be logged against both items. That way the audit trail of lead > contact is retained, but the risk of a sales rep messing up the data integrity disappears.

Am I missing something here? Is there some obvious reason that escapes me as to why leads and contacts are discrete, or is this simply a case of 'too many cooks' when the system was designed around an OSS model?

Thanks!

Outcomes