After the opportunity is Closed/Won then what?

I'm looking for some advice about how best to handle contracts that are won - that is, where do we go after the sales process has been successful. We installed the Community Edition and it looks like this will work great for sales and marketing. But after that we need to manage the actual project and I would prefer not to create multiple data silos - we already have to get the CRM data into QuickBooks for accounting.  I definitely want the salespeople to have reports comparing things like the lead source and date, quoted price and quote-won date, and the ultimate project completion date and cost.  Profitability and time from lead to billing are pretty important metrics.

In our case we are dealing with construction projects where most of our cost is labor.  We have about 50 workers and managing the job assignment calendar can be a nightmare.  Weather delays, materials not being delivered on time, illness, accidents, etc. all require constant juggling of the calendar.

In the office we need an easy way to see the "big picture" calendar - maybe even on a big screen TV to replace the current marker board.  We also need a way to send the daily/weekly assignments to the workers by email, or by handing them a printed sheet in the morning.  Finally, we need to enter the actual hours worked to match our cost to the original quote, and to prepare payroll files.

Obviously it would be best to keep all account/contact/opportunity information in a single database (Sugar CRM) and add a module or custom code to manage the workers, hours and jobs.  Is there a Sugar CRM module we should look at?  Is this kind of thing built into the paid versions of Sugar CRM?  Some other way to keep all the information together in one place?

Any advice appreciated.

• We're struggling with the same two issues:

1)  Integration between Quickbooks Enterprise & SugarCRM
    2)  Project Schedule & Financial Management

For #1,With only one person on the sales side, the lack of integration between Quickbooks & Sugar is making me lean towards SalesForce.  I don't like some of the restrictions in Salesforce, but for 1 user, a maximum of $70 for the license & integration is the best option I see right now.

For #2, Take a look at Mavenlink.  It's not perfect, but it looks the best to handle the project schedule and financial management, and the time integrations directly into Quickbooks.  
  • Mike, take a look at this QuickBooks integration module from Faye Business Systems:

http://fayebsg.com/sugarcrm-quickbooks-integration-2/

Their video demo is very informative and if it works as advertised it would solve many of my problems.

For worker scheduling I am leaning toward a custom solution.  I have already made something simple that gets the Closed/Won Opportunities from Sugar and lists those on a page.  Then the supervisor can assign workers to each job, including the day/time.  That information all appears on a list-type report as well as a calendar page.  If I put a little more time into this I might have all the reports and scheduling tools we need.

I just had time for a quick look at Mavenlink, but I don't see any Sugar CRM integration.  Everything we add from now on has to be integrated into everything else - no more data silos.  In case I missed it I will take a more detailed look later today.  But the other problem I have with most project management systems is that they are simply too complicated for my typical small business consulting client.

• Thanks Robert,

I do have a phone-call into Faye, and I love the way their integration works.  But from what I can tell, for 1 or 2 users it doesn't make financial sense.  $1500-$2000/year for the integration component + the SugarCRM cost, where for $820/year I can get a Salesforce Pro account with full Quickbooks integration.  

If you have many Sugar users or a deep Sugar investment, the connector becomes far less of an issue.  

=======================

Mavenlink has very good integration into Quickbooks, not SugarCRM.  The PM assigns workers to the tasks on schedule.  Workers enter their time to the job and the hours flow to Quickbooks for payroll purposes.  

I agree with you on the PM complexity comment.  I'm not trying to push Mavenlink, after a very detailed internal discussion we're going custom also.  Just probably worth a 30-minute demo as it seems a good fit for your needs.
  • Mike, I think $820/year would be the price for one person using Salesforce.  Almost double that for 2.  But it's still an interesting option for only 1 or 2 seats.

The problem I have with the Pro version of Salesforce is no access to the API to develop custom integrations.  I could be wrong about this, but I think you need the Enterprise version ($125/user/month) to get API access.

Maybe we can talk sometime to compare notes.

• Hi MikeBruns MikeBruns & rstoeber rstoeber

May I suggest you check out Commercient's integration app. They have implemented over 85 integrations between multiple ERP & CRM's Including Quickbooks Online. Their integrations are highly customizable and can be as in-depth or as simple as needed. The app is also available on SugarExchange.

Thanks!